Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Tokyo and Yokohama

During the Golden Week Holidays (first week of May where there are several consecutive national holidays), I went up to Tokyo again for meetings. I only had a day of meetings, so the other two days, I kinda kicked it with my nephews or was out and about trying to find my way to one place or another.

Tokyo, boy oh boy, every time I go up there, I think that I could never survive there. TOO MANY PEOPLE.

I don't remember if this picture with a bunch of people crossing the crosswalk was in Shibuya or Shinjiku...I just remember it started with a "Shi". I think it's a famous place, because I often see it on TV.

I met up with a friend in Yokohama and we went to this placed called "Yumeland" or something like that...there was something about a "dream" in the name of the place, but I don't remember what exactly it was called. He explained that the Tower Skyscraper was the highest in Japan. I don't know how many floors it had, but it was definitely high! I don't think I'd feel comfortable working in such a high-rise.

After stopping by the bookstore where they had lots of English books (hurray!), we went over too Chinatown since it was famous. This Chinatown was definitely different from the one in S.F. or L.A. Just about every single store was FOOD FOOD FOOD. In the States, the Chinatowns aren't all filled with Chinese food, but here, that seemed to be the main thing.

I thought Chinese food would be the same everywhere, but NO. Chinese food in Japan was not what I was accustomed to in the States. The food here seemed very exotic(i.e. I couldn't eat the stuff!). I was imagining fried rice, fried eggplant, egg-drop soup, etc....

Chinese food in the States is usually pretty cheap, but here, it's quite expensive. The price, in combination with me not being able find anything that seemed edible, didn't work out, so we went back to the city and ended up eating at El Toritos! It was good!

I've got more pictures to post from my trip up to Tokyo, but I'll post those next time.

2 Comments:

At 1:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, real chinese food might not be quite to your taste but good thing they have mexican food over there; it's pretty rare isn't it? It's so like you to be exploring wherever you go.

SM

 
At 11:45 AM , Blogger myla said...

i've never been to japan. .maybe one day if you're still there! :) and ya. .i'm so sad you can't come to my wedding. .but thanx in advance for the gift you're sending! i'm excited! :) wowee. . charles and wilma finally tie the knot!. . crazy!. .do you have either one's email? i'd love to get in touch with them. :) and ya. .hard to hook you up when you're so freaking far away. . and i'm such a bad "setter-upper" anywayze! :( . . .lovin' ya! :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home