Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Museum somewhere in Kobe

I think this is the first time I went to a museum in Japan. Actually, that's not quite true, I'm sure I must have gone on field trips to museums while I attended school in Japan, but that period of my life I consider a black hole and I don't remember much from it.

Anyways, I love museums. Back in my P.U.C. art major days, we'd sometimes go over to San Fransisco and spend the whole day gallery hopping or visiting museums. It was great. I love reading autobioghraphies and biographies since you get to experience what unfolds in the book...I think looking at art is a similar experience. It's like you get to slip back or forward in time and have a conversation with the artists.

Whenever I see artwork, I love to get up really close and see the brushstrokes. When I do that, I feel like I can sense the artist's presence right there.

One of my favorite museums is the Paul Ghetty Center in Southern California. I really fell in love with the architecture. I think I could spend the whole entire day there just walking around and gazing at the architecture. Oh, I wish I could do that! I want to visit more museums here in Japan, but getting to the museum and paying for the entrance fee all adds up so it's a bit difficult. That's one thing I like about the States. You can enjoy culture without having to pay a fortune. Wish it were like that here too.

5 Comments:

At 3:39 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe because the "culture" you're looking for is of the western variety. I was able to find quite a bit of eastern culture at a low price there =)

SM

 
At 12:57 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you talking about used bookstores?

 
At 2:16 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

nooooo ha ha ha

SM

 
At 12:07 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

So fill me in on the cheap cultural findings then! How come you're never online these days?

 
At 2:52 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least where my grandparents live, you can talk a short walk around the neighborhood and find Shinto shrines, temples etc. I forget to sign in..I'll remember to.

SM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home